Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2024 08:43:04 +0200
From: Matthias Apitz <guru@...xarea.de>
To: yescrypt@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: using yescrypt on Windows 10

Hello,

I wrote in C a small pgm 'yescrypt4IDS' which can be compiled on any
Linux with just (here on my Debian Linux mobile phone):

purism@...eos:~$ uname -a
Linux pureos 6.6.0-1-librem5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jul  7 20:23:17 EDT 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux
purism@...eos:~$ gcc -o yescrypt4IDS yescrypt4IDS.c -lcrypt

and can be used to generate an yescrypt hash of the PIN 4711 with:

purism@...eos:~$ printf '4711' | ./yescrypt4IDS
$y$jBT$m.gde4m9kZuAcFUOfrf9w0$jIThEr9zolnI32CzfHVX1nN1Ic37VlpUsPKNOivaUB0

and can check the PIN '4711' against the hash stored in a database, if
the PIN is correct it returns 'matched\n'

purism@...eos:~$ printf '4711\0$y$jBT$3S62t27ACAbAhwOaMDxyw1$aKD2RK4EXg6qr8XGpE11Tl8hPva2nItvvmigJceY9H6' | ./yescrypt4IDS
matched

on any other PIN it would fail, saying on stdout 'nomatch\n':

purism@...eos:~$ printf '0815\0$y$jBT$3S62t27ACAbAhwOaMDxyw1$aKD2RK4EXg6qr8XGpE11Tl8hPva2nItvvmigJceY9H6' | ./yescrypt4IDS
nomatch

We use this, for example, in Java written servers so they can validate a
PIN over the network with a pipe to /usr/local/bin/yescrypt4IDS.

So far so good.

Now we need this as an EXE on Windows 10. Is there any libcrypt.dll for
a gcc or other C-compiler on Windows? Thanks

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@...xarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045