Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 21:20:07 +0200
From: Andreas Stieger <Andreas.Stieger@....de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: gh:facebook/rocksdb v9.5.2 - SupplyChainAttackPoC for Meta BB

Around 2024-08-21, the following tag appeared:
https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb/releases/tag/v9.5.2

The GitHub release is titled "v9.5.2 - SupplyChainAttackPoC for Meta
BB". This might be an an extremely unlucky choice of a release label, a
joke, or what it sais it is. The two previous tags claimed in the
release notes were not pushed.

 From the archive pages I see the short commit for this tag changed from
d1826fb to a7e70f9.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240821151922/https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb/releases/tag/v9.5.2

https://web.archive.org/web/20240822053615/https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb/releases/tag/v9.5.2

Similarly the cached preview images, and possibly the github internal
title, seem to changed in the 14 minutes timestamp diff between two
social media posts:

https://x.com/RocksDB/status/1826276807060173257

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rocksdb.dev/posts/8216045841827191/

The diff points to a fat-fingered release that missed some changes and
was quickly corrected.
https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb/compare/d1826fb..a7e70f9

Violates at least the principle to never reuse release numbers or make
changes to public tags. Let's not do that. The only other thing I saw
that the project stopped using the meta git bot not so recently. That's
all I know.

Andreas