Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 11:12:38 -0700
From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Unbound 1.21.0 released with multiple security fixes

https://lists.nlnetlabs.nl/pipermail/unbound-users/2024-August/008377.html
announces the release of version 1.21.0 of this DNS server, including:

> This release has a fix for the CAMP and CacheFlush issues. They have a
> low severity for Unbound, since it does not affect Unbound so much.
>
> The Compositional Amplification (CAMP) type of attacks can lead to DoS
> attacks against DNS servers. In Unbound legitimate client requests to
> the resolvers under typical workload are not directly affected by CAMP
> attacks. However we introduce a global quota for 128 outgoing packets
> per query (and it's subqueries) that is never reset to prevent the
> combination of CAMP with other amplification attacks in the future. We
> would like to thank Huayi Duan, Marco Bearzi, Jodok Vieli, and Cagin
> Tanir from NetSec group, ETH Zurich for discovering and notifying us
> about the issue.

This appears to refer to:
https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity24/presentation/duan

> The CacheFlush type of attacks (NSCacheFlush, CNAMECacheFlush) try to
> evict cached data by utilizing rogue zones and a steady rogue stream to
> a resolver. Based on the zone, the stream, the configured cache size
> and the legitimate traffic, Unbound could experience a degradation of
> service if a useful entry is evicted and Unbound needs to resolve again.
> As a mitigation to the NSCacheFlush attack Unbound is setting a limit
> of 20 RRs in an NS RRset. We would like to thank Yehuda Afek, Anat
> Bremler-Barr, Shoham Danino and Yuval Shavitt (Tel-Aviv University and
> Reichman University) for discovering and notifying us about the issue.

This appears to refer to:
https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity24/presentation/afek

> - Fix #1071: [FR] Clear both in-memory and cachedb module cache with
>    `unbound-control flush*` commands.

This appears to have been assigned CVE-2024-43167:
https://www.cve.org/CVERecord?id=CVE-2024-43167

--
         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith@...cle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris