Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 11:10:06 -0400
From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@...itzky.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Tracking down a lost CVE request (MITRE)

Couldn't think of a better place to ask this. I requested a CVE back in
March for an issue with the installed permissions in Nagios's NDOUtils.
I think the request ID was #1620090.

I received a confirmation, but never got a follow-up response. I've
since replied to the CVE-Request@ address, and have filled out the form
with an "other" request asking for an update, but haven't heard back.
New requests are obviously still being issued -- is there some way to
find out what happened to this one?

FWIW:

Before NDOUtils-2.1.4 (released five days ago), the upstream Makefile
would install the "ndo2db" daemon executable with the same owner/group
that it is intended eventually to run as (namely: "nagios"). But the
daemon is designed to be started as root and drop privileges to that
user. If the "nagios" user can edit a binary that root will run, he can
gain root privileges.