Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 18:08:46 -0400
From: Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: feedback requested regarding deprecation of TLS 1.0/1.1

Hi Neil,

Answering on behalf of the Python Cryptographic Authority, which
develops pyca/cryptography, the most widely used Python cryptography
library. We distribute binary builds that statically link a copy of
OpenSSL.

1) Yes, we're fine with dropping TLS 1.0/1.1 on this time frame.
Frankly, we'd be fine dropping it faster.

2) We would not re-enable TLS1.0/1.1 in our releases. Users wishing to
use these protocols would be responsible for building and linking
their own OpenSSL.

3) I don't have a good answer for you. I think systems programming is
fairly impoverished in terms of ways to emit _runtime_ warnings. I'd
suggest focusing on compile-time warnings.

Alex

--
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.