Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 18:14:34 -0700
From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Pete Allor <pallor@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: CVE-2024-6387: RCE in OpenSSH's server, on
 glibc-based Linux systems

On 7/10/24 08:06, Pete Allor wrote:
> Under CVE rules, Red Hat can only assign a CVE for issues within our scope,
> which for most CNAs means their software.   RH has on occasion, provided a
> CVE for upstream projects which are not covered by another CNA.  That is
> really about a coordination point between multiple parties.

But the scope of Red Hat's CNA explicitly includes all open source projects
included in a Red Hat product:
https://www.cve.org/PartnerInformation/ListofPartners/partner/redhat

and many projects have been told to contact Red Hat to request CVEs over
the years.   I know I've requested and received many CVE's from the
Red Hat CNA for security advisories issued by the X.Org Foundation - far
more than "on occasion".

--
         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith@...cle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris