Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 15:39:56 -0700
From: Russ Allbery <eagle@...ie.org>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,  Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@...teo.net>
Subject: Re: Arbitrary shell command evaluation in Org mode
 (GNU Emacs)

Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com> writes:

> As far as I understand it, this only controls inline vs attachment
> rendering.  Content-Disposition: inline MIME parts are still displayed
> automatically, even if corresponding entries have been removed from
> mm-automatic-display.

> I looked at this and as far as I can tell, to disable rendering, you
> have to remove entries from mm-inline-media-tests.  I don't think this
> is possible through customization because the variable has bytecode
> objects in it.

> I think it should be possible to filter it down, with something like the
> code below.  Some comments on the choices: Patch rendering is just too
> useful to skip.  HTML rendering is necessary (and obviously quite risky)
> because Jira and other tools do not generate useful plaintext mail.

Thank you!  This was extremely helpful.

You may also want to keep message/rfc822 for better display of forwarded
mail.  I am making the assumption that the recursive expansion of the
included message will apply the same rules as the outer message.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@...ie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>