Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 22:17:36 +0100
From: Sam James <sam@...too.org>
To: Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Update on the distro-backdoor-scanner effort

Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org> writes:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 at 14:06:16 -0600, Hank Leininger wrote:
>>   - Turns out serial numbers are made up and the points don't matter.
>>     But still, this author appears to have _thought_ they were
>>     important.
>
> The serial number of a m4 file matters if the attacker wants their back
> door to remain in place when a distro runs autoreconf -fi or similar
> (as many Autoconf-built Debian packages do, for example); or, less
> maliciously, if the author of a legitimate set of Autoconf macros wants
> their bug fixes to remain in place when an older distro does the same.
>
> The purpose of the serial number is so that autoreconf can upgrade bundled
> macros in the `make dist` tarball to the distro version if it happens
> to be newer (for example if I prepared a Flatpak release on Debian 12
> but you are building it on Arch), without downgrading to an older distro
> version that might be lacking newer features or bug fixes (for example
> when someone else builds that same Flatpak release on Debian 11).

But it doesn't work that way! See the bottom of
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Serials.html.

"Finally, note that the --force option of aclocal has absolutely no
effect on the files installed by --install. For instance, if you
have modified your local macros, do not expect --install --force to
replace the local macros by their system-wide versions."

(I was very surprised to learn this when doing this work, it was
pointed out to me by Guillem Jover.)

> If a developer of Autoconf macros is following its documentation, the
> serial number should go up whenever the code changes. The observant
> will of course notice that this doesn't account for the possibility of
> non-linear development (macros being modified in a non-canonical location,
> forked, edited collaboratively, or otherwise not having a monotonically
> increasing version number) which I think is a reflection of what was
> and wasn't considered to be normal when it was designed - it's very much
> from the "cathedral" era.
>
> (Many projects don't follow the documentation and do make changes without
> incrementing the serial number, which is a bug.)
>
> Beyond that single purpose, yes, the serial number is made up and doesn't
> matter.
>
>     smcv

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (378 bytes)