Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:30:57 +0100
From: Nicolas Grégoire <nicolas.gregoire@...rri.fr>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE affected for PHP 5.3.9 ?

Le vendredi 13 janvier 2012 à 13:50 -0700, Kurt Seifried a écrit :
> Again I'm still not clear on what/how a security boundary is being
> crossed. How does this elevate privileges or give you remote access
> that you wouldn't already if you can upload arbitrary PHP scripts?

XSLT 1.0, as defined by the W3C, doesn't allow to save the result of a
XSL transformation to the file system. This feature is an extension
provided by libxslt itself. As PHP 5 uses libxslt as its XSLT engine,
PHP applications parsing external/untrusted XSLT expose this feature.

An attacker can provide specially crafted XSLT code which will create an
arbitrary file with chosen content ("0wn3d.php" in my example). Then,
this PHP file is requested by the attacker and executed.

Somewhat similar to an undocumented file upload feature ...

Regards,
Nicolas