Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:34:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: kernel: Dangerous interaction between clear_child_tid, set_fs(), and kernel oopses

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:34:38AM -0500, Nelson Elhage wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 07:51:18AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> > Nelson - why are you proposing adding set_fs(USER_DS); not to the very
> > beginning of do_exit(), but below a few calls/checks?  I don't think
> > there's any performance improvement from that, and it feels
> > "theoretically safer" to return to the sane/safe state as soon as
> > possible.  I am currently looking at do_exit() in OpenVZ's RHEL5-based
> > 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5.028stab079.1 - it does a bit more work before
> > reaching the place you patch.  So I am tempted to introduce
> > set_fs(USER_DS); as the very first statement in do_exit() instead.
>
> I put the set_fs() after the in_interrupt() check, since set_fs() frobs the
> stack. So I wanted to preserve that check/immediate panic(), rather than
> possible triggering a recursive fault or other weird behavior. Other than that,
> I stuck it as early as possible.
>
> If I'm wrong about it possibly failing on an interrupt stack, then yeah, it
> might make sense to put it even earlier. Or to rearrange things so that the flow
> is "check interrupt -> set_fs() -> everything else".

You have an excellent point.

In practice, it appears that we do have current_thread_info() even in
interrupt context.  It just does not make much sense.  I actually
implemented set_fs() at the very beginning of do_exit() yesterday, and
we put this kernel on a certain machine that keeps crashing in all sorts
of ways (looks like its motherboard has issues supporting 8 GB of RAM).
(We did this before you replied to my question.)  And guess what - after
a few hours, the system was kind enough to crash with "Aiee, killing
interrupt handler!", and another person was kind enough to take a
screenshot via IP-KVM while I was asleep.  The screenshot shows "Process
swapper (pid: 0, veid=0, threadinfo ffffffff80582000, task ffffff..."
and so on.  So I guess current_thread_info() corresponds to whatever
process/context was interrupted.  (The crash itself had nothing to do
with the change.  Just a faulty machine.)

That said, I am going to revise our do_exit() patch to play safe as you
propose.

Thanks,

Alexander