Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:28:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: coley <coley@...re.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request: VLC <1.0.6 Multiple issues

----- "Alex Legler" <a3li@...too.org> wrote:

> VLC media player suffers from various vulnerabilities when attempting
> to parse malformatted or overly long byte streams.
>
> * Heap buffer overflow vulnerability in A/52, DTS and MPEG Audio
>   decoders
> * Invalid memory access in AVI, ASF, Matroska (MKV)
>   demuxers
> * Invalid memory access in XSPF playlist parser
> * Inavlid memory access in ZIP archive decompressor
> * Heap buffer overflow in RTMP access
>
> http://www.videolan.org/security/sa1003.html

I'm going to trust the upstream advisory regarding version information, so
here goes:

The affected versions are VLC media player 1.0.5 down to 0.5.0
This is fixed in version 1.0.6 and 1.1.0

The flaws appear to be split based on where in the vlc source they occur.
I'm going to keep the upstream mapping for CVE ids, as it's possible
certain other project will have cherry picked the source.

CVE-2010-1441 VLC Heap buffer overflow in A/52, DTS and MPEG Audio decoders
CVE-2010-1442 VLC Invalid memory access in AVI, ASF, Matroska (MKV) demuxers
CVE-2010-1443 VLC Invalid memory access in XSPF playlist parser
CVE-2010-1444 VLC Inavlid memory access in ZIP archive decompressor
CVE-2010-1445 VLC Heap buffer overflow in RTMP access

Thanks

--
    JB