Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 15:21:45 -0400
From: James Y Knight <jyknight@...gle.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "Ram Nalamothu (QUIC)" <quic_vnalamot@...cinc.com>
Subject: Re: Integer only print functions support in MUSL

According to LLVM sources (LLVM knows how to transform printf variants into
iprintf variants), "iprintf and friends are only available on XCore, TCE,
and Emscripten."

I note that emscripten actually uses musl's printf implementation, and has
added iprintf support as a downstream patch.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 2:56 PM Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net> wrote:

> Am Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 05:29:59PM +0000 schrieb Ram Nalamothu (QUIC):
> > Hi,
> >
> > On the subject line topic, is there a plan for integer only print
> functions support in MUSL upstream?
> >
> > The newlib seems to support the same since 2004 [1] and one immediate
> scenario using this capability is assert function [2] in the C library
> itself which needs to print only the non-float types.
> >
> > Applications that use integer only print functions can benefit from this
> capability in terms of reduced code size by avoiding floating point support
> implementation in the linked print functions.
> >
> > I tried a quick search on the mailing list but couldn't find any
> previous discussions on this topic.
> > Would it make sense to have the similar support in MUSL as well? Would
> the community be open to accept patches supporting integer only print
> functions?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ram
> >
> > [1] https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/newlib/2004/msg00577.html
> > [2]
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=newlib/libc/stdlib/assert.c#l58
>
> Standard criteria for inclusion in musl have always been any kind of
> standardization effort at all. Otherwise there is a risk of future
> incompatible standardization. And iprintf() seems to be a newlib
> exclusive; I cannot find any reference to this function outside of it.
>
> Ciao,
> Markus

Content of type "text/html" skipped