Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 14:07:41 -0700
From: jeff <jeff@...funit.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: rule for password with control characters

That is 90% of what I need. Based on your advice I made these rules:
[List.Rules:rep_control_1]
# Trivial
o[0-9A-Z][\x7f\x80\x01-\x1f]

[List.Rules:ins_control_1]
# Trivial
i[0-9A-Z][\x7f\x80\x01-\x1f]

This will work when the input word character is 0-9 A-Z, but not with
other characters.
I am finding passwords of the form <tab>word and word<cr> ,
where <tab> is the tab character and <cr> is a carriage-return character.

What I need are two rules that will do the following.
I am using numbers just as placeholders, and ^ as a control character.
If the dictionary word is 1234
For replace_ccontrol I need to generate
^234
1^34
12^4
123^

and for insert_control I need to generate
^1234
1^234
12^34
123^4