Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 14:08:10 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: rule for password with control characters

On Sun, Sep 15, 2024 at 06:23:40PM -0700, jeff wrote:
> I used these rules to either insert or substitute a control character
> into a wordlist when I was
> cracking descrypt hashes.
>
> Now I am cracking NTLM hashes, and there is no limit on the length of a
> potential password.

There is a limit - it's just much higher.

> I was wondering if there was a way to modify the insertion and
> substitution rules to not be limited to 8 chars.

Sure.  I suggest that you start with the rules already in our default
john.conf, I mean these:

$ grep -n '^\[List.Rules:[oi]' john.conf
1130:[List.Rules:o1]
1137:[List.Rules:o2]
1159:[List.Rules:o]
1164:[List.Rules:i1]
1171:[List.Rules:i2]
1194:[List.Rules:i]
1199:[List.Rules:oi]

They currently use [ -~] as the range of characters to substitute or
insert, which covers printable ASCII.  You'll want to replace that with
[\x7f\x01-\x1f] or add the control character codes to the printable
range making it e.g. [\x01-\x7f].  You can also add 8-bit characters,
making the range e.g. [\x01-\xff].  The rest can be kept intact.

These rules are written such that they accommodate lengths up to 35 or
36, which is beyond the default NT format's limit of 27, but is below
--format=nt-long limit of 110.

Alexander