Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 17:05:36 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Maxim Kouznetsov <maxim.kouznetsov@...ightsoftware.com>
Cc: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Shift JIS vs CP932

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 10:30:17PM +0000, Maxim Kouznetsov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looks like on 2024-02-29 CP932 was set as an alias of Shift_JIS, but
> there are a number of character differences, see
> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.4/en/charset-cp932.html for
> example. Those codepages are very similar, but not actually the
> same.

Yes, I realized this a while back and was trying to collect
information to figure out what we actually need to do to support cp932
properly. All the information on the differences is confusing and I'm
not sure yet whether the above is clarifying.

The big question is probably whether to make Shift_JIS be an alias for
cp932 (at least in the decoding direction) and always support the
extensions, or have the extensions only available when cp932 is
requested.

There's also a question of how to encode the information. If we extend
the jis0208 table with them, the other encodings of jis0208 need to
explicitly disallow the extensions, but it's probably more efficient
to pack them in there. OTOH if they conflict with actual later jis
versions we might want to support, having them in the jis0208 table
seems like a bad idea.