Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 11:57:29 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: "Ward, Ryan C" <ryan.c.ward3@...ing.com>,
	"musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: libc-test contribution

On Fri, Aug 16, 2024 at 09:35:38AM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * Ward, Ryan C <ryan.c.ward3@...ing.com> [2024-08-16 01:06:55 +0000]:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to start contributing some test cases to libc-test. I have
> > started with testing some simple recent regressions (e.g. a test for
> > the recent fix commit 947b4574), and am aiming to start filling in
> > missing functional test coverage. Am I able to submit the test
> > directly to this mailing list, and are there any other immediate
> > areas of libc-test that need implementation?
>
> this list is fine
>
> there are many areas missing
> but they need test infrastucture
> eg networking tests depending on
> /etc/resolv.conf need to run in
> a separate mount namespace.

I could try writing a helper module to do this. Basically it would
just unshare into a new user+mount+network namespace and, if
/etc/resolv.conf exists, bind-mount an empty file over it. Then you
can bind port 53 and it will intercept all queries, and you don't have
to worry about anything going out to the real network or having
network-dependent behaviors.