Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 00:04:55 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: guolongqiang <guolongqiang@...wei.com>
Cc: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>,
	xufengwei <xufengwei@...wei.com>
Subject: Re: 答复: questions about
 __tl_lock

On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 03:28:45AM +0000, guolongqiang wrote:
> Thank you for explaining. I didn't notice that the parameter of do_futex invoked in mm_release for linux kernel.
>
> Although the kernel(linux kernel) uses shared option by default to do_futex(wakeup), I think libc can still use
> private option to do futex wait, there's no question of correctness. This conclusion comes from the review of
> the kernel code. Am I right?
>
> If that's true, isn't it a matter of us rely on the kernel?

You're free to use either in general if the futex word is not being
accessed at different addresses referring to the same physical
address, but they're different "namespaces" and you have to be
consistent which you use for a particular futex -- the wait and wake
operations must either both be private or both be non-private, or else
the wake will fail to wake the waiter.

In the case of the thread list lock, the waker is often linux
kernel/fork.c:mm_release, where it performs:

	put_user(0, tsk->clear_child_tid);
	do_futex(tsk->clear_child_tid, FUTEX_WAKE,
			1, NULL, NULL, 0, 0);

This is a non-private wake, so if we were performing a private wait,
we would never wake up.

Rich