Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2024 17:40:32 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Thorsten Glaser <tg@...bsd.de>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Howard Su <howard0su@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] Add cfi directives to assembly code via
 chatgpt

On Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 02:18:11PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Howard Su dixit:
>
> >I tried ChatGPT which is able to write cfi directives correctly.
>
> It is not. It is also a destroyer of the environment and a theft machine
> and while I’m not sure musl has such a policy, many OSS projects won’t
> permit use of ML/LLM (so-called “AI”) when creating a contribution.

Indeed, while in this case I would guess the amount of code (I have
not read it because I don't want copyright taint) is sufficiently
small and non-creative not to be subject to copyright, in general,
anything output from an LLM (chatgpt or otherwise) is not acceptable
for inclusion in musl because it is plagiarized from some unknown and
undiscoverable subset of billions(?) of works incorporated into the
LLM without authorization by their authors/copyright holders. Anything
submitted for inclusion must have provenance (original authorship or
exiting published material under suitable license) whereby we know it
can be copied and distributed under the project license.