Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2024 07:12:08 -0700
From: jeff <jeff@...funit.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: problem running out of memory - john 20240608.1

I was wondering if using john in incremental mode, there is any way to
remember its state when I restart john.
I know about the --restore option, but after cracking a significant
amount of
hashes, I want to shrink the list of hashes via

./john --format=nt --show=left pp8 > pp8-left

and then I want to increase the number of threads.
If I understand correctly, --restore won't work if I shrink the list of unfound hashes
or increase the thread count.

So ideally, I would like to start a new john session, but say something like
--incremental_start_where_I_left_off.
I do have the hashes that incremental is currently working on per thread, i.e.

1 0g 0:20:41:08  0g/s 6439Kp/s 6439Kc/s 3933TC/s asojgul25..asojgulg8
2 0g 0:20:41:08  0g/s 6485Kp/s 6485Kc/s 3962TC/s danchai10n..dancha2kjn

which should have the state of the incremental candidate password generator.

I am currently using 2 threads, but as the unfound hashes decreases, I intent
to increase the number of threads. Additionally, I have ordered another 128gb of
ram, in order to be able to increase the number of threads I can use.

thanks,
jeff