[<prev] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 05:33:51 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] LKRG 0.9.9

Hi,

For those new to Linux Kernel Runtime Guard (LKRG), it is a kernel
module that performs runtime integrity checking of the Linux kernel and
detection of security vulnerability exploits against the kernel.

We've just released LKRG 0.9.9, available on the LKRG project website:

https://lkrg.org

The following major changes have been made between LKRG 0.9.8 and 0.9.9:

 *) Support Linux 6.11+ and stable 6.10.10+
 *) Support new longterm kernels 5.10.220+
 *) Support new CentOS Stream 9 kernel 5.14.0-470.el9 and beyond (to RHEL 9.5)
 *) Support CONFIG_JUMP_LABEL batch mode also on ARM64
 *) Re-support build without CONFIG_TRACEPOINTS (was broken in 0.9.8)
 *) pCFI: Upgrade "Frame pointer is not on the stack" to ALERT with enforcement
 *) Simplify seccomp validation (should help portability to more kernel builds)

In terms of code changes, there are many scattered edits:

$ git diff --shortstat v0.9.8..v0.9.9

The changes this time are by the following people:

$ git shortlog -sn v0.9.8..v0.9.9
    36  Solar Designer
     3  Vitaly Chikunov
     2  Adam 'pi3' Zabrocki
     1  WangYuli

7 of my commits above (code cleanups) are based on changes proposed by
Alexander Pick, who is credited in Co-authored-by.

We've already updated the Rocky Linux SIG/Security package of LKRG to
this new release, and our tested builds for 9.4 and 8.10 are about to be
pushed out to the public, along with a corresponding wiki edit:

https://sig-security.rocky.page

Rocky Linux SIG/Security yum/dnf repository and LKRG packages are also
usable on other Enterprise Linux distributions (AlmaLinux 8 and 9, RHEL
8 and 9, etc.)

Alexander