Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:21:25 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To:  sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: changing/fixing the tarballs in the butch

will cunningham wrote:
> By request I recreated the qt4 build problem to get the build log error.
> Remember this happens when trying to build qt4 before installing xorg.
> Here are the last few lines of build_qt4.log:

[ ... ]
> Basic XLib functionality test failed!
>  You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing
>  QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in
> /src/build/qt4/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.6.4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64.

thanks. judging from this, it seems adding a dep on libx11 should
probably be sufficient.

> As I move forward tell me other things you want me to try/test as I'm
> approaching this project as not just getting my core apps working but
> understanding/taking control of the OS so I'm VERY interested in how this
> all fits together.  For example I'd never heard of mdev/edev but I'm
> reading up on them as I get x pumping, very interesting, and exciting libs
> to be putting into/expanding practical use of.

cool. understanding the system as a whole and being able to modify every
component is exactly what sabotage linux is about.
i didn't have the opportunity to dig into mdev deeply yet, so i'd be
glad if someone could come up with a solution that fully replaces
(e)udev for desktop usage (as laid out in henrique's mail).
unfortunately, other major packages like mesalib start depending on
libudev these days so we may have to write patches to be able to stay
mdev-only...

--JS