Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:45:09 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To:  sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
CC:  sorosj@...il.com
Subject: Re: wpa_supplicant + dhclient on boot

Henrique Lengler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want my wireless connection to automatically load on boot.
> To mannualy set this up I first run
> # sv start wpa_supplicant
> # dhclient wlan0

wpa_supplicant needs a bit time to do its magic, so dhclient can only
succeed after the connection is established.

it's possible to sync wpa_supplicant via wpa_cli
please take a look at this commit
https://github.com/soul9/sabotage/commit/f8584ee1c918927fbd0dc4f68dc66979e94e5134

this is probably not yet sufficient due to some issues (for example exec
transfers ownerships, so the last line cant be executed) but we're
working on a solution.
in case you come up with a better approach we're all ears.
(we also need a way so the user can choose between dhcp and non-dhcp
configs).

> I'm confused about how I set this, what the difference between /etc/service
> and /etc/rc.local files

the rc.local stuff is mostly for a static configuration. the dhcp stuff
there will only work with a connection thats already up after the kernel
finished loading (i.e. ethernet).

> I removed /etc/service/wpa_supplicant/down file and I pointed do_dhcp on rc.local
> to wlan0, it runs on boot, but the internet doesn't work.
> I think it happeens because the execution order. Can someone please help me?
>
> Regards,

--JS