Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:47:01 -0400
From: Adam Turk <bofh1234@...mail.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: duplicate guesses with 1.7.3.1-all-2 jumbo patch
 (was: another bug in john 1.7.3.1?)

> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 05:17:10 +0400
> From: solar@...nwall.com
> To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
> Subject: [john-users] duplicate guesses with 1.7.3.1-all-2 jumbo patch (was: another bug in john 1.7.3.1?)
>
> I've changed the Subject to be more specific - mention just what the
> problem is and what version it pertains to (the jumbo patch, not JtR
> itself). Please try to use short, yet very specific Subjects - not just
> "another bug" or the like.

You are right and I apologize.

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:18:27PM -0400, Adam Turk wrote:
>> Loaded 6 password hashes with no different salts (LM DES [32/32 BS])
>
> Are you sure you have used the right/optimal make target for your
> system? What system (hardware, OS, version) are you running JtR on, and
> what make target did you use? I doubt that your CPU is not capable of
> at least MMX.

I have a P3 850Mhz CPU.  I used make linux-x86-any.  Rereading the specs for the P3 is does support MMX so I should have used make linux-x86-mmx.

>> BB (b)
>> A (a)
>> BB (b)
>
> OK, this does look wrong, and I managed to reproduce the bug. As I
> expected, it is in Simon's largepasswordset patch, which I merged into
> the latest jumbo patch. Please try the attached patch - does it help?
>
>> This is in addition the earlier bug if you try to use john to generate a wordlist.
>
> No "earlier bug" there. You have not found a JtR bug so far, but you
> have found one in the latest jumbo patch. Contributed patches, and
> consequently the jumbo patch, are sort of expected to be buggy... but I
> am fixing really nasty bugs like this one as they're being reported.

You are right I should have made it clearer that the problem was with jumbo patch.  John worked fine before I recompiled it.  I also shouldn't have mixed topics.  All I can say is don't post if you are tired or in need of caffeine.  I will try the patch tonight and post the results.

Thanks,