Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 05:17:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: duplicate guesses with 1.7.3.1-all-2 jumbo patch (was: another bug in john 1.7.3.1?)

I've changed the Subject to be more specific - mention just what the
problem is and what version it pertains to (the jumbo patch, not JtR
itself).  Please try to use short, yet very specific Subjects - not just
"another bug" or the like.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:18:27PM -0400, Adam Turk wrote:
> Loaded 6 password hashes with no different salts (LM DES [32/32 BS])

Are you sure you have used the right/optimal make target for your
system?  What system (hardware, OS, version) are you running JtR on, and
what make target did you use?  I doubt that your CPU is not capable of
at least MMX.

> BB               (b)
> A                (a)
> BB               (b)

OK, this does look wrong, and I managed to reproduce the bug.  As I
expected, it is in Simon's largepasswordset patch, which I merged into
the latest jumbo patch.  Please try the attached patch - does it help?

> This is in addition the earlier bug if you try to use john to generate a wordlist.

No "earlier bug" there.  You have not found a JtR bug so far, but you
have found one in the latest jumbo patch.  Contributed patches, and
consequently the jumbo patch, are sort of expected to be buggy... but I
am fixing really nasty bugs like this one as they're being reported.

Thanks,

Alexander

View attachment "john-1.7.3.1-all-2-lpsfix1.diff" of type "text/plain" (2566 bytes)