Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 21:09:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d logging under xinetd

Sean,

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:29:10PM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> I've been hacking around in the popa3d code trying to figure out how it
> works so that I might be able to get it to log/record the user's IP
> address for use with pop-before-send SMTP access control. I just
> discovered that the whole "channel" construct is pulling user session
> data from a pipe rather than a socket as I was expecting when running
> under xinetd.

The "channel" stuff is being used to implement privilege separation.

There is a socket, it is just not seen explicitly since it's provided
by the *inetd.  The socket is on fd 0/1/2 (stdin/out/err) at program
startup.  You can invoke getpeername(2) on any of these fd's to find
out the remote client's IP address.  The same would _also_ work when
running standalone.

Some software also sets the REMOTE_HOST environment variable.  You
can have your code fallback to uses of REMOTE_HOST when either the
getpeername(2) call fails or the connection appears to come from
localhost.  This will let you do POP-before-SMTP even for SSL'ed
connections with xinetd and stunnel.

BTW, contrib/popa3d-0.6.2-whoson-1.diff.gz already implements just
that, so you might not even need to develop the patch on your own.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598