Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:54:42 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john jumbo 1.9.0 and yscrypt support

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 08:16:33PM +0000, Jason Keltz wrote:
> I compiled my own later version of libxcrypt on RHEL8, but can't seem to find an easy way to tell the compiler about it. Is there an option I can pass to configure ? Would this solve the problem ? Or not possible on RHEL8 at all?

I think the easiest way to get this working on RHEL8 would be to inject
your newer libxcrypt with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD at the time you
invoke john.  Something like:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/libxcrypt/directory/with/so/file/in/it ./john ...

or similar with "export", so you don't need to specify it each time (but
then it'll affect other programs you run as well).

Alexander