Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:14:41 +0000
From: Thomas Ward <teward@...mas-ward.net>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: "No hashes found" when argon2id is present?

Glad to hear that.

I will also make the following observations (for all uses of john): it LOOKS like more recent phpBB variants are using argon2id instead of standard salted-sha hashes, which in turn means that when someone is attempting to brute force hashes for the purposes of pentesting or otherwise in any kind of phpBB forums of recent vintage, it will not be possible to use JtR for this until the argon functionality is updated, which *generally* increases the priority for this being updated as well, if someone's using JtR with wordlist and the mangling rules to bruteforce.

Thomas