Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:25:43 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:51:08AM +0100, Jeroen wrote:
> The mailing list sends messages to list members like if they were send by
> the original sender. In fact it's spoofing emails. If the sender domain uses
> anti-SPAM mechanisms like DMARC, the messages are dropped by properly
> configures email servers, or best case flagged as spam or quarantined. Can
> this be fixed?

This is a well-known problem, and no I don't intend to bite the bullet
and work around it for our mailing lists just yet, although I expect to
be forced to eventually.

For now, I recommend that you avoid posting from domains with strict
DMARC policy.

BTW, the problem isn't with "envelope sender" (as you put in the
Subject).  Our mailing lists properly rewrite envelope sender, using the
lists.openwall.com domain in there.  The problem is with header From,
which we leave intact.  Working around this would in fact involve us
starting to spoof header From.

Alexander