Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 09:09:19 -0600
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: alter default rules or filter, best way to focus on
 proper candidates?

What you need to do is look in the "Character class and similar
commands" section of ./doc/RULES file.  Specifically the 'reject the
word ...." rules.

!X    reject the word if it contains character X
!?C    reject the word if it contains a character in class C
/X    reject the word unless it contains character X
/?C    reject the word unless it contains a character in class C
=NX    reject the word unless character in position N is equal to X
=N?C    reject the word unless character in position N is in class C
(X    reject the word unless its first character is X
(?C    reject the word unless its first character is in class C
)X    reject the word unless its last character is X
)?C    reject the word unless its last character is in class C
%NX    reject the word unless it contains at least N instances of X
%N?C    reject the word unless it contains at least N characters of class C
U       reject the word unless it is valid UTF-8 (use with -u rule reject)

So if you wanted to test every candidate that are lower case, then add
this to your rule (put it as the VERY first thing in the rule)

!?L  rest_of_rule

If you want to exclude any with digits:

!?D  rest_of_rule

If you want words that END with a digit:
=m?d  rest_of_rule

If you want words that END with a digit:
=m?d  rest_of_rule

etc.   You can have more than one reject rule primitive added to a
single rule.

NOTE, this may make things appear to slow down (in fast formats). This
is because the rejections do not get counted in the crack stats in any
way, but they take time. They do however take a whole lot less time than
even fast formats, thus the wordlist+rules gets completed much faster
than it would have without the reject, even though the ending speed
appears to be slower.

Hope that helps some.  Jim.