Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 17:11:58 +0100
From: p+password@...atpro.net
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: alter default rules or filter, best way to focus on proper candidates?

Thank you Jim,

If I understand correctly, this kind of exclusion let the rule create the candidate, and just drop it if it does not match the exclusion parameter.
If I take a look at lines +517 of john.conf (bleeding-jumbo at 20161106):

# Weird order, eh? Can't do anything about it, the order is based on the
# number of successful cracks...
<* d
r c
-c <* (?a d c

I could change rules #2 and #3 to remove capitalization:

r l
-c <* (?a d l

hence it would be far more efficient, but of course way more complicated, considering the amount of possibilities that can lead to upper case characters. And I'm pretty sure I can't do it properly.
The possibility to reject the word at rule level is still very interesting and I'm confident it's more efficient than --external filtering.

I would end with those rules:

!?u r c
-c !?u <* (?a d c

but those just don't work as I think they would. I've defined this config:

[List.Rules:exclude]
!?u r c
-c !?u <* (?a d c

[List.Rules:NO_exclude]
r c
-c <* (?a d c

[List.Rules:NO_cap]
r l
-c <* (?a d l

and made these tests:

$ ./john --wordlist=password.lst --rules=NO_exclude --stdout | egrep -c '[A-Z]'
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
6920p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2016-11-09 16:45) 295253p/s Ssssss
6500

$ ./john --wordlist=password.lst --rules=exclude --stdout | egrep -c '[A-Z]'
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
6592p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2016-11-09 16:46) 281258p/s Ssssss
6178

$ ./john --wordlist=password.lst --rules=NO_cap --stdout | egrep -c '[A-Z]'
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
6920p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2016-11-09 16:45) 295253p/s ssssss
0

List.Rules:exclude (using !?u as rule prefix) fails at filtering upper case candidates. If I remove every candidate that includes an upper case character from --rules=NO_exclude and --rules=exclude outputs, then make a diff, I got those candidates for NO_exclude while they don't show in exclude output:

1071ccn
1lehcim
218uo
242tnorf
321cba
700dnob

they obviously should have been present in an output where only candidates with upper case char. are excluded (unless those are upper case digits.... :) )
I'm surely a newbie with rule syntax, but these results look really odd to me.

Using:

r c !?u
-c <* (?a d c !?u

yields to very different results: 420p only, but not a single upper case character.

It looks List.Rules:NO_cap is the best choice, even if it creates about 290 duplicates.