Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 23:42:17 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: unable to extract hash from 7z archive

On 2015-07-28 23:13, Matthew Smith wrote:
> I don't think I encrypted file names, so when I run the "7z2john.py"
> script, I get this message:
>
> file.7z : 7-Zip files without header encryption are *not* supported yet!
>
>  From googling, I see threads where an author mentions adding it in the
> future, but on github the file hasn't been updated in over two years.  I've
> tried searching for a later version but I can't find it.

Unfortunately we haven't implemented it yet. I was hoping the missing
functionality was just within the conversion tool.

> I've used "7z2hashcat.pl" to get the hash, but when trying that hash file
> in john it doesn't seem to want to load.  Maybe I am doing something wrong
> in the commands?
>
> C:\johnomp\run>john --format=7z outfile.hashes
> No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

I suppose this settles that oclHashcat can crack your hash (provided you
have a GPU) but we can't. Well it was worth a try.

BTW you probably need a GPU anyway - 7z hashes are very hard to crack.
So maybe buy a cheap-ish GPU and try oclHashcat?

magnum