Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 01:16:23 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Multiple GPU and Fork

On 2015-06-02 22:45, Luis Rocha wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and In this case I had X running.

... but you probably didn't have DISPLAY nor XAUTHORITY set to talk to
your X server from that root shell.  (Maybe your bad habit of running
john as root has finally backfired.)  You should be running john from a
user account and environment authorized to talk to your X server.  As a
test, try running "xterm &" from the shell that you use to start john -
will it start, will it appear on your desktop?  If so, exit the xterm
and then start john.  If not, correct this first.

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 11:35:51PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> If it works fine with oclHashcat it should work fine with JtR. Not sure
> what is the problem.
>
> You could try running john with sudo just to see if it makes a
> difference. Sometimes I've seen that work when there was problems with
> X. But again, if oclHascat works I see no reason why JtR would not.

No, the problem is in fact specific to just "john --fork".  Without
--fork, it works.  Apparently, the newly implemented X-less compute in
new Catalyst (a welcome change!) is somehow incompatible with fork().
I have no idea why not.  We might want to debug this and try to come up
with a workaround.

Alexander