Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 22:39:21 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use Wordlists with John The Ripper

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM, NRO117@...il.com <nro117gm@...il.com> wrote:
> Just in case it matters:
>
> I read the DOC, as well as the options list in the terminal after opening JTR Pro.
>
> I entered into terminal:  john --wordlist=password.lst
> (as specified in the DOC)
>
> The result returned in terminal was: Password files required, but none specified

Most people start with john then password_hashes
john password_hashes.txt
That will go through 3 modes, single, wordlist and then incremental

if you want to use wordlist only (change password.lst to any
dictionary you have)
john password_hashes.txt -w=password.lst

wordlist with rules (they are named in john.conf)
john password_hashes.txt -w=password.lst -rules=single
john password_hashes.txt -w=password.lst -rules=jumbo
john password_hashes.txt -w=password.lst -rules=wordlist

incremental only (read the MODES file)
john password_hashes.txt -i
john password_hashes.txt -i=alpha
john password_hashes.txt -i=alnum
john password_hashes.txt -i=all

external modes
john password_hashes.txt -external=keyboard

It really is a simple syntax, if you've ever used a command line
program before it's not that hard. I hope you can see how to apply the
features/switches now. Some are mutually exclusive, and JtR will tell
you there is an error in you CLI.
-rich