Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 00:15:46 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com, Pass Words <usenetpass@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: help with Johnny GUI for OSX

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 02:17:15PM -0700, Pass Words wrote:
> I read some of theFAQ, but I am rather clueless when it comes to the terminal window.  I just purchased John the Ripper
>
> and downloaded Johnny for OSX.   Can someone explain how to get Johnny running?

You need to build Johnny from sources to get Johnny working because
there are no prebuilt binaries for Mac OS X. It would involve terminal
window so I guess it would be easier to work with john directly.

> I tried typing johnny in the terminal but that didn't work.  what shows is my user name$. I Also tried /johnny

It is ok because there is no johnny as a program suitable for running.

> I have John pro folder and Johnnie folder in my user directory.

It is a good start.

> If someone could explain it like they are talking to their Mother, I might be helpful to get Johnny working.

Let's try with John!

> I'm running OSX 10.5.8  I imagine once I get Johnny running it will be straightforward to add  a password list
>
>  and run it on a rar file.

Unfortunately Johnny is not finished yet. It would not let you use all
the features John pro has. Johnny has very limited support now. I hope
that Johnny will meet your dreams someday.

Well, let's open the terminal. Open the finder also. Navigate to
john's directory in the finder. Drag john onto the terminal, you'll
see its path on the command line. Type space. Then in the finder
navigate to your rar file for cracking and drag the file onto the
terminal. Press Return / Enter key in the terminal to start your
command. Is it easy? What does john say after that? Does it return
immediately? Did it find the password?

Thanks!

--
Regards,