Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:07:27 +0200
From: "agap1@...abit.com" <agap1@...abit.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Agap1's writeup for CMIYC 2012

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks to all for this great contest!

It was my 1st time that I took part in such a competition, but I tried to
organize myself as good as possible, but at the end I had "administration"
since the overhead of managing so many (at least for me) resources was too
much.

My main wordlist was openwall with different rules. Additionally I found
some hashes with Quote wordlist by Matt Weir (with and without rules).

* laptop1:cpu:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400  @ 2.53GHz
I run many staff with different wordlist and rules:
Total of 1655 hashes since this was my main pc I tried and experiment with
a lot of staff.

* laptop2:cpu:Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz
-Started using it the last 12 hours of the contest-
Attacked bf with a custom Greek names word list 2 instances ~20c/s (per
instance) -- none cracked

* A dedicated server:cpu:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
I run many staff with different wordlist and rules:
#Cracked	Type
-------------------
1 		bf
111 		dynamic21
101 		nsldap
78 		nt
7 		oracle
117 		raw-md5u
162 		raw-sha1
129 		mscash
1219 		Unsorted

* A very small vps: ~0.6Mhz of an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU  920  @
2.67GHz/ 128mb ram!
1 .Cracked 3 sunmd5 hashes ~ 20 c/s
2. Attacked a part of the swiss cities in sunmd5 hashes --none cracked.

* netebook:cpu:Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 900Mhz
-Started using it the last 12 hours of the contest-
1. Cracked 6 sunmd5 hashes ~ 25 c/s
2. Attacked a part of the swiss cities in sunmd5 hashes --none cracked.

* Opensolaris:
I run into multiple issues with Opensolaris & co :) (finding the right
images, installed packages..) first I tried to use it on a VirtualBox but
it was very slow. Then I tried to install it on a desktop by using a live
usb and trying to boot on a fairly old cpu (AMD Sempron 2600+) but by far
better than VirtualBox. There tasks were prior to any sunmd5 (working)
patch. At the end I didn't manage to run opensolaris on this desktop!

* ec2 Instances:

1. 12 Linux ec2 instances (t1.micro, up to 2 ecu units, 1core) Being
unable to utilize them I contributed them to solar.

2.
10 Windows Server 2008 SP2 (t1.micro, up to 2 ecu units, 1core) that I had
orchestrate via vnc (painful) where I attacked slow BF and sha512 by using
jtr contest pre-compiled version.Unfortunately no hashes were cracked.

Stats overview up to now ---sorry i fall asleep).
Openwall list
-------------
BF      French/lower.lst                                #Very slow 0.07%
BF      Latin/mixed.lst                                 #Slow 73.16%
BF      Italian/1-small/lower.lst                       #Very slow 0.20%
BF      Latin/cap.lst                                   #Very slow 3.43%
BF      Spanish/lower.lst                               #Very slow 0.00%
BF      German/1-small/lower.lst                        #Very slow 1.10%
SHA512  Latin/mixed.lst                                 #Slow 77.8%
SHA512  Latin/lower.lst                                 #Slow 0.00%

Custom wordlist
BF      Self-made Greek name list with 1st capital (735) #Slow 20.28%

--
Agap1