Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 17:52:28 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Dhiru's writeup for CMIYC 2012

Hi,

This was my second time participating in CMIYC contest and I had tons of fun.

Hardware Used:

1. AMD X3 720 BE CPU
2. ATI 6970 GPU (mostly unused)
3. N260 Atom netbook (used for cracking DES)
4. Intel i3 @ 3.3GHz (used for cracking DES, mostly idle)

Before the contest it was announced that there would be EncFS
challenges. So, I spent a day making various versions of EncFS
crackers (finally I produced a CPU as well as OpenCL patch for JtR).
This code is now committed to magnum-jumbo. I don't remember the name
of the guy from our team who cracked EncFS easy but awesome work!

During, the contest we got a surprise (among many) in the form of SXC
challenge files. So, I started coding a cracker for these files.
Within 3 hours, I had a CPU as well as OpenCL patch ready for JtR. I
started running the OpenCL SXC cracker on [2] which eventually cracked
the easy SXC challenge using rockyou dictionary with rules. I also
cracked PDF easy but it was done too late.

Apart for this, I mainly focussed on cracking DES hashes. I used
all.lst (with rules), Facebook Names (with rules), "-i:digits",
hashkiller.com dictionaries etc.

Challenges were fun but the limit of 6 was too low. We could crack
more ;). IIRC we cracked the maximum number of challenges first (and
overall). Awesome work by Simon? and JimF in cracking sunmd5 hashes.

Eagerly waiting for future hash breaking contests!

PS: Future Tasks: Add DMG, 7-Zip and PGP (WIP!) support to JtR.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru