Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 17:47:29 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: OS X keychain single empty/spaces result, but
 guessing continues?

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org> wrote:
> To test further, I created a fresh user and performed the same test.
> I do not get an empty result like the one shown above; instead, JtR
> exits normally after successfully guessing 1 of 1 keychains.

john shouldn't have exited after guessing the password! Was the
password successfully recovered though?

> Perhaps my original keychain was created differently, or maybe it's
> been tampered with.  But regardless, shouldn't JtR exit cleanly after
> "finding" this empty guess, rather that continuing on?  Has anyone
> else seen this behavior of finding what appears to be all possible
> results, and then continuing to work?  What the heck could it be
> working on?

Currently, the Keychain format is FMT_NOT_EXACT which means that we
can't be 100% sure that the recovered password was the actual
password. Hence, john continues to run after the initial guess.

> Put another way: I'd like to support ensuring that if there's some
> corner condition that triggers useless processing forever, that it's
> detected and exits with a warning instead.  I can provide the
> keychain2john file to interested regular devs if interested.

Please send me both keychains2john files along with correct passwords. Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Dhiru