Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 00:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: firstname lastname <psykosonik_frequenz@...oo.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Steganography Passphrase Cracking

Hi All,

I am not sure if someone has tried this before. I am trying to crack the passphrase which was used to hide text files within an MP3 file using Steganography.

For instance, MP3Stego tool by Fabien Petitcolas can be used to hide text files inside an MP3 file. You can protect your hidden data using a passphrase.

While decoding, we need to supply the passphrase to extract the hidden data from the mp3:

decode.exe -X -P <pass> sample.mp3

I did some research on how to extract the hash from this mp3 file and didn't make much progress. It uses 3DES to encrypt the hidden data and SHA-1 to generate pseudo random bits.

Regards,
NeonFlash