Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:18:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallel cracking

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:01:12AM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> Would it be possible to "divide" the incremental progress
> points in a similar fashion that markov does? I don't understand the .rec format
> very well, but it seems to me that JtR keeps track of where it was in the
> session every so often so you can pick up where you left off... Perhaps the
> MPI is doing this already. However I'm not sure if MPI works on cygwin/
> mingw builds. In essence, have 2 or more cpu's run a "restore" that begins
> a "few hours" ahead of the previous progress point.... if that makes sense?

That's tricky, and I don't recommend it.

Rather than introduce such a feature that would be easy enough for an
end-user, I am more likely to introduce a way to specify the node number
and the total number of nodes, similarly to the Parallel external
mode's, but without the per candidate password performance overhead that
this external mode incurs.  It will work similarly to the MPI patch, but
without requiring MPI, nor any connectivity between the nodes.

Will this address your needs?

Alexander