Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:50:10 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallel cracking

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> That's tricky, and I don't recommend it.
>
> Rather than introduce such a feature that would be easy enough for an
> end-user, I am more likely to introduce a way to specify the node number
> and the total number of nodes, similarly to the Parallel external
> mode's, but without the per candidate password performance overhead that
> this external mode incurs.  It will work similarly to the MPI patch, but
> without requiring MPI, nor any connectivity between the nodes.
>
> Will this address your needs?
It would kick serious a** to have a parallel setup for win32 builds, at
least that is I what I have the most of. Another thought was a "live cd"
running linux that could give those like me (crippled to using windows)
a way to do distributed/parallel JtR. My issue on using Markov was I
didn't know how to "score" the passwords, perhaps I didn't read what I
should of read or fully understand what I needed to do to use it. I just
thought if your going to distribute, incremental was the way to go, and
exhaust that space as fast as possible.

Another thought about the live-cd option was with the "crack me if you
can" contest, it may be a way to get the most out of all the CPU's that
are potentially available, something like SETI@...e for the JtR team.
Insert disk, boot up, tell openwall your ready, openwall sends you a
share of hashes->settings->rules->wordlists etc... get cracking, report
progress to openwall. Maybe specify how many cpus your willing to let
openwall use, and keep some of them to yourself to try your own rules
and settings out on. Sorry, bit of a tangent there...and would obviously
require connectivity.

In closing, yes, that would be cool to have MPI type functionality
available to windows and *nix. :)
-rich