Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 05:36:53 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: hmailserver patch

Dhiru, James -

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 06:59:47AM -0800, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com> wrote:
> > Could this patch be adapted to Sybase password hashes (http://marcellmajor.com/sybase_sha256.html)?
>
> Done :-)
>
> Sybase ASE hash patch is attached (apply on top of jumbo-12). This
> patch was hacked together very quickly and as such is not tested much.
> Will profile and try to speed it up in next hacking session.

Thank you!

This has a licensing issue: James opted to use copyright along with a
permissive license in his patch, whereas your patch says it is based on
James' but it also says its code is in the public domain.  You can't
place James' copyrighted code (or your revision of it) into the public
domain - you'll need to use the copyright and permissive license
approach as well, and James' copyright will apply too, or say that your
code has been written independently by you rather than based on James'
(I don't know if this can be said of it or not).

Anyhow, these patches are so simple that I might re-do them when getting
SHA-256 stuff into jumbo at all.

Thanks again,

Alexander