Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:38:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: latest john and all patch included

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:28:38PM +0200, websiteaccess wrote:
>  Is someone can send me john (latest version 1.7.3.x, OS X 10.5, intel)
> with all patches included (ready to compile), or a folder with all
> files included and an EASY tutorial how to add patches then compile.

Aren't the instructions at
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/how-to-extract-tarballs-and-apply-patches
followed by http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/INSTALL.shtml easy enough
for you?

>  I need john with at least : SHA1 , raw-SHA1 , IPB2, raw-MD5,
> salted-MD5 (aka phps), PHPBB3 , all others algorithms welcome.

No idea what you mean by "SHA1" vs. "raw-SHA1" (you're obviously
confused), but other than that you get all of the above and more by
applying john-1.7.3.1-all-5.diff.gz and john-1.7.3.1-phpass-2.diff.gz on
top of john-1.7.3.1.tar.gz.  You can find both patches in:

ftp://ftp.openwall.com/pub/projects/john/contrib/

>  (I know how to compile, but I have some troubles to add patches in JTR)

Basically, the question is - should someone be putting out pre-patched
trees for the dummies?  If so, what patches should be included in those?
I'd imagine that if the jumbo patch is properly maintained, then it
should be just that one, which kind of makes this tree redundant - or do
we really care about the dummies all that much? ;-)  Yes, I'm not being
politically-correct. ;-)

Not only pre-patched, but also pre-compiled distributions make more
sense to me, especially given that some systems don't come with a C
compiler pre-installed (e.g., Xcode for Mac OS X is a gigabyte download).

Speaking of "proper maintenance" of the jumbo patch, I'd say that
currently the patch is a bit out of date, and this might be my fault, as
I was the one to update it last...  There have been bug reports (and
fixes) since -all-5 that should really get in.  I hope to get to that
eventually (sorry, I can't say "soon").

Then, maybe the jumbo patch should eventually be replaced with a
community tree, which several contributors would have commit access to.
This would probably solve the pre-patched tree "issue", making the patch
secondary.

That's just some thoughts on the matter.

Alexander