Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:05:51 +0100
From: "Johnny" <Johnny@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: how to find a password of 16 digits

@Frank Dittrich:

Your given external mode definition ([List.External:16Digits]) works. - Thank you, great work!

>Thank you for all the good comments of the others, too.<

My PC checks only around 200 words per second. After 9 hours it checked around 6 million (= 7 digits) words. So you were right form
the beginning, it could last very! long.

The password to find is a WPA key of an access point. My only information on the key are given in an example in a German manual
(around 1,5 MB) on page 18:

http://rapidshare.com/files/13771929/Handbuch_FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7170.pdf

Unfortunately, computers are not able to check all the possibilities within an acceptable time at present. Maybe a cluster of
computers, like in an university, could work fast enough? Is it possible via the internet to get computed such a password by a mega
fast machine (with paying?)? - Or is there no "computer" which is sufficient fast enough, yet?

It might be better to let JTR look for the password in a more random way and not in a chronological order from 0000000000000000 to
9999999999999999. Is this possible to compile for JTR? The chance to find out to right password might be better, but if the log file
of the checked passwords reaches my hard disk limit, everything was a waste of time.

- However, it is my risk but maybe the only way?