Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:30:52 -0600
From: "Randy B" <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: how to find a password of 16 digits

> The password to find is a WPA key of an access point. My only information on the key are given in an example in a German manual
> (around 1,5 MB) on page 18:

You may be interested in CoWPAtty
(http://www.churchofwifi.org/Project_Display.asp?PID=95), then.  John
is most certainly a fantastic candidate generator & hasher, but if you
have any capture of the AP's traffic, you could reduce your search set
considerably.

Basic tenet of breaking cryptography: reduce your problem set.  The
more you know, the less work you have to do.  Even a brute-force tool
like John does this by being smart about hash implementations and
character frequency analysis.  You've already done so quite a bit if
you are certain the key is 16 digits and numeric only.  The Xeon 5160
I have could comfortably generate that search space in <5 days - while
compute power may be a limiting factor, more limiting may be the
method you're using to check each key.  What are you using?  Keep in
mind, not sure anyone's said it, but 16^10 turns into roughly a
terabyte of data.  This is definitely doable with modern top-end
hardware, but just so.