Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:01:09 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] IPv6 presentation revised; passwdqc 1.1.2

Hi,

This is to announce two unrelated items at once:

1. We have revised the online version of "IPv6: What, Why, How", a
presentation by Jen Linkova aka Furry.  Most notably, we've introduced
an index page with small but legible images of the 60 slides:

http://www.openwall.com/presentations/IPv6/

The slides are clickable for higher-resolution and "live" versions (with
up-to-date IPv4 address space exhaustion data from external sources).

The presentation covers topics such as IPv4 address distribution and
address space exhaustion, current approaches at conserving IPv4 address
space usage, IPv6 as the solution, IPv6 address format, examples, and
address types, interface ID and address (auto)configuration, privacy
concerns, IPv6 packet header format (in comparison to IPv4),
fragmentation, ICMPv6 (and how it replaces multiple IPv4 control
protocols), Neighbor Discovery (ND) and how to secure it, IPv6 & DNS,
migration from IPv4 (including dual-stack nodes, tunneling, and address
translation), related security concerns, a summary of advantages of
IPv6, common misconceptions around IPv6, and more.

2. passwdqc, our password/passphrase strength checking toolset, has been
updated further to version 1.1.2:

http://www.openwall.com/passwdqc/

The changes since 1.1.0 are mostly focused on restoring portability to
non-Linux platforms (which we broke with the introduction of lots of new
functionality between 1.0.5 and 1.1.0) and on improving the "protocol"
used by the pwqcheck and pwqgen programs.

passwdqc 1.1.x are considered "development" versions, although this is
primarily because of their potentially more limited out-of-the-box
portability.  The current "stable" version is pam_passwdqc 1.0.5, which
readily supports Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and HP-UX.  Additionally,
there's a plugin password strength checker for OpenBSD.  All of these
are available at the URL above.

Alexander