Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 07:34:59 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] passwdqc 1.1.0 - now a password/passphrase strength checking and enforcement toolset

Hi,

We have turned our pam_passwdqc package (which was up to version 1.0.5)
into a password/passphrase strength checking toolset called simply
passwdqc (now at version 1.1.0):

http://www.openwall.com/passwdqc/

Specifically, we have introduced libpasswdqc (a password/passphrase
strength checking library), pwqcheck (a standalone password/passphrase
strength checking program), and pwqgen (a standalone random passphrase
generator program), in addition to the PAM module, which is now built
upon libpasswdqc.  We have also added the config=FILE option to allow for
specifying the password/passphrase policy in a configuration file rather
than on the command-line.  Finally, we've revised the documentation,
including introduction of manual pages for the new components.  All of
this is mostly due to work by Dmitry V. Levin (some of it originally for
ALT Linux).

We might have broken portability to some non-Linux platforms in
passwdqc 1.1.0 (compared to pam_passwdqc 1.0.5), which is the primary
reason why we treat this new version as a development release for now.
(Obviously, pam_passwdqc 1.0.5 is available for download as well.)

Please test and provide your feedback (we're interested to hear of both
successes and failures, as well as of any compiler warnings and any
other issues).  Please be sure to include a description of your systems
(OS, version, CPU architecture, C compiler and its version).

Thanks,

Alexander