Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:12:22 -0600
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...sec.ca>
To: xvendor@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GNU "fgrep -w" may miss matches

* [2008-04-18 22:31:34 +0400] Solar Designer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>There's a bug in GNU grep that causes "fgrep -w" to sometimes miss
>matches.  We've had a fix for this (by Pavel Kankovsky) in Owl for a
>year now.  Please see grep-2.5.1a-owl-fgrep-w.diff at:
>
>	http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/grep/
>
>grep-2.5.1a-owl-fgrep-w.diff includes comments with problem description
>and a testcase demonstrating the problem.
>
>Is GNU grep being maintained upstream these days?

Just tested this on Mandriva 2008.1 (with grep 2.5.3) and it does the
right thing.  Taking a quick peek at the spec, we're heavily patched
with Debian patches, so one of them is probably taking care of this (I'm
thinking probably 64-egf-speedup.patch which is messing around in the
same area as your patch is).  Looking at the source, this isn't
upstream.

Looking at the ChangeLog for this version:

2007-06-29  Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@...linux.org>

         * all files: GPLv3

Maybe Bernhard is the one maintaining grep now?  He's the only one I see
making commits (a whole 3 in the changelog) since 2005 when Charles
Levert committed some stuff.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/