Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:49:03 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To:  sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Sabotage Linux "Just Works"

Garry Roseman wrote:
> Of course I read about Sabotage but installed CRUX and Alpine at that
> point in my adventure.  Yesterday I decided to take time to play with
> either FreeBSD or a minimalist Linux system.  Luckily I decided to learn
> more about Sabotage.  What a joy!  Clean scripts and deceptively simple
> engineering!

Nice! great that you like it and that everything worked out smoothly for
you.

> Well there was a small glitch.  The root filesystem was mounted
> read-only.  Is that an artifact of the init system being different from
> what I'm used to?  Anyway, I added "rw" to root filesystem options in
 > /etc/fstab and "rw" to the kernel command line in my grub.cfg and
 > rebooted and all was well.

the default boot manager for sabotage is extlinux/syslinux, and the
default config (/boot/extlinux.conf) ships with the rw option to the kernel.
having the rw option in fstab by default could make sense though.
however that would probably require changes to "squashtool" (readonly fs
builder).

> In between other things in the next week or so I'll try to replicate my
> Funtoo desktop, fluxbox, rox-filer, mpv, and other things requiring gtk2
> (and python).  I would be interested in hearing if anyone has been able
> to build kde applications on Sabotage(?). On Funtoo I build okular,
> kate, kile, gwenview and calligra without avahi, consolekit, dbus,
> policykit, or pulseaudio. It would be nice to do that on Sabotage.

the last time i tried to build a KDE app (kdevelop), there were so many
dependencies on KDE services and libraries that i gave up after a day.
however that was pre-sabotage so things may work better these days...
but it's probably still a lot of work to add all required packages.
i personally wouldn't mind having kdevelop available, even though it
requires tons of RAM and harddisk space, as long as it doesn't have hard
dbus/systemd deps...

--JS