Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:58:10 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To:  sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wpa_supplicant + dhclient on boot

Elmo Todurov wrote:
>> On 2014-11-22, at 22:45, John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de> wrote:
>>
>> Henrique Lengler wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I want my wireless connection to automatically load on boot.
>>> To mannualy set this up I first run # sv start wpa_supplicant
>>> # dhclient wlan0
>> wpa_supplicant needs a bit time to do its magic, so dhclient can only succeed after the connection is established.
>
> How hard would it be to extend wpa_supplicant to call a configured script (say dhclient) after connecting?

probably rather easy. i already hacked on wpa_supplicant once for a
different purpose and was successful in a matter of minutes.

i'd actually like wpa_supplicant to behave like this:

- service is started in the background and does nothing
- a command line frontend connects to the service and sends command to
   establish connection to a wlan with given SSID and other parameters.
   command line client runs till the connection is successfully
   established or the try failed and indicates success in both command
   line output and return value.
- bg service keeps the connection established until told to quit by the
   command line frontend.

that way, wpa_supplicant could be easily scripted and/or used with
custom gui frontends.
but maybe i'm just not understanding the current design properly...

--JS