Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:56:12 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To:  sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: xorg no mouse or keyboard

Henrique Lengler wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 01:29:33AM -0600, will cunningham wrote:
>> So I'd like to both get this working but also understand how I take control
>> of which X(xorg,Xfbdev,with vbox, with qemu) happens. Poking at xinitrc

on a modern desktop system you usually want xorg. the Xfbdev option
usually only makes sense for ARM devices or emulators.

>> isn't getting it done, so I must be missing something really obvious.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Will
>
> I don`t really know how it work, but these are the steps I did to make it work:
> In xorg there is two ways of having input devices like keyboard and mouse, via
> evdev, that will auto detect the devices but it need udev, or by mannualy setting
> them.

right, you would need to install xf86-input-evdev which pulls in eudev.
as soon as eudev is installed, the rc.boot script automatically makes
use of it.

> So install xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-synaptics if
> you use touchpad.
> Clone this repo, https://github.com/slashbeast/mdev-like-a-boss
>  wich have some skel_files that help you and a lot of information
> Copy the mdev.conf to /etc/mdev.conf (I don`t know if this file is different from
> the default one, butit works)
> Now you need to create the conf files in xorg.conf.d, copy the xorg.conf.d/ files
> of the repo to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, you can delete 20-touchpad.conf if you don`t
>  use it.
> It probably will work now, you also can customize the files if you want.

cool. figuring this stuff out is actually on the TODO list (
https://github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage/issues/83 ).
it would be nice if you could come up with a patch (xorg files, changes
for mdev.conf) for usage in sabotage that works out-of-the-box.